Tuesday, August 18, 2009

Some of the Last Pieces

If our move to San Antonio were a 100-piece puzzle, we just placed 98 and 99. The picture is almost complete.

Yep, I'm back to work and Evan's in daycare for the very first time!
I was lucky enough to be invited back to Deacon Recruiting (I worked for them a short time just before we moved to MD three years ago) as a Recruiter/HR Coordinator on a part-time schedule. The 17th seemed so far away...and then there it was!
A few weeks ago I did some driving around and stopping in prospective daycare centers for Evan. I found one that was new and shiny with all the bells and whistles (and price tag to go with it) but was more content with the smaller, family owned, seem-to-love-them-like-their-own center just a few miles further. Last week I brought Evan in a couple of times to play for about an hour so that he was accustomed to the teachers and kids before leaving him for 9 hours on Monday.

We must've looked like newbies dropping off their 6 week old! Scott followed us to the daycare Monday morning, video camera in tow. I carried Evan's blanket, pillow and woobie along with a list of "tidbits" I thought of the night before when I could not sleep. You know, things like, "he's never drank from a real cup all by himself" - since they don't allow sippy cups - and "he's never slept on a mat on the floor". I, of course, got a little teary as I left him in the room and turned to leave. Scott was sure to get that on camera!

I called to check on him as soon as I got to work and was reassured he was doing fine. Later in the day his teacher called me to again let me know his morning went really well. I was really relieved.

And that big smile when I picked him up...it washed away all my apprehension. I know he's going to learn all sorts of new things, new words and meet new friends...it's so hard to let go, even just this tiny bit!

So, off to find that last puzzle piece...a new gym. The hardest part of all to fit back into place....

The night before our big day....cannot resist that sweet face!

Ms. Rachel's Comments on Evan's Morning

2 comments:

Melissa Beth said...

Good job, Mom! You did it! This post made me teary-eyed thinking about dropping my baby off at Kindergarten Monday.

Now, tell me what grade you get on your first project. Better be an A.

Melissa Beth said...

How did DAY 2 go this morning?