Monday, December 8, 2008

Lunch with Santa

I woke up Saturday morning with the ambitious idea to have Evan's picture taken with Santa at the mall. My plan was to get there as soon as Santa "arrived" so that we could get it over with. Now, that may not be the best attitude to have, especially given we're in the middle of the Christmas season and all, but I knew this year's picture would be much different from last year (can you say 15-month old?!?)

So, as I'm making breakfast and talking to Scott about the plans I notice three yellow tickets on the refrigerator; tickets to Lunch with Santa this very morning! I had completely forgotten!

What a great change of plans it turned out to be. Apparently every year the Wilde Lake Village Center (it's a Columbia thing...9 villages each with its own village center, blah, blah) hosts Breakfast with Santa. Luckily I have Debbie to count on for finding and telling me about all the family fun things to do around Columbia! This one was a HIT!

After a lunch of McDonald's Happy Meals (Evan's favorite -don't judge me!) Santa came on stage to recite "Twas the Night Before Christmas". Right afterward the projector came down and we watched old Christmas episodes of Mickey Mouse and Tom and Jerry as Santa walked around to every table to talk to every child. The cartoons were really great - you know - the kind us 30-somethings watched growing up; just old-school cartoons about mice and a cat!

Santa giving mommy the lowdown on how to trick Evan to get a good picture!


Santa then took his seat in on stage so that all the children could whisper to him their biggest Christmas wishes.

Of course we grabbed our things and scurried to be some of the first in line since it was already 12:30 and we were verging on naptime meltdown. After about 2 minutes it was Evan's turn on Santa's lap. First we took a family picture with Santa (I will post as soon as I get my copy). I think this one may have come out okay as Evan didn't really get what was going on. However, as soon as I sat him on Santa's lap and walked away, meltdown! I don't think we got a picture of it but he was not happy to see Santa!

Not to worry, Santa had an idea to have me hold Evan and look at the Christmas trees while he snuck up behind us and Scott took a picture. You can tell by our expressions that we had that look of "hurry up and take the picture!!"


Then the meltdown began!

In all it was a really fun afternoon. Maybe we'll try again next year!

Some other fun pictures:

Daddy reading to Evan


Getting ready to head out into the cold!

1 comment:

Melissa Beth said...

Don't you know babies need variety in their diets?

That's why we alternate between the cheeseburger Happy Meal and the Chicken Nugget Happy Meal.

So cute! I love your expression when Santa sneaks up...