Tuesday, October 25, 2011

Irony of a Day

There are two things no one ever told me before I became a parent; the horrific after effects of childbirth (and I'll just leave that right there) and the fact that parenting is, at times, an excrutiatingly tough job.  Excrutiating, I say!
Take yesterday for example. Drop off at school was painful; clinging to my legs like a 2 year old.  Yes, Mrs. Teacher, I know I should "just go" but I'm having a hard time peeling this 44 pound kid off my body! I was considerably bummed for the rest of the morning, convinced he was going to have a terrible, horrible, no good, very bad day. 

Turns out he had a great day and all was right with the world again.  Then he hit a kid on the playground.  It's so hard to go from a happy, we're going to have a great afternoon high to the disciplining mean guy in 10 seconds flat.  Cue immediate exit from the playground.  Then punishment.  Then having to tell Daddy himself why he was in trouble.  Then more tears.  Total downer.

We filled the first three hours of the quiet afternoon with lunch, hotwheel car races and block towers.  And then I had the idea to make some play-doh so that I could hopefully get a little down time to make dinner.  So there we were in the kitchen together, dinner on the stove, music playing and Evan sitting on the counter making "cake ball pops" with his purple play-doh...for almost THREE hours.  It was some of the best time we've spent together in a while...oh the irony of a day of punishment turning into a cherished memory.

Later in the quiet of night I settled in to read a blog post sent by my much wiser friend, K.  A commenter to that post said it best, "We need love the most when we deserve it the least."


 Evan next to his "oven" where his cake balls are baking...



  The finished product...yummy!

No comments: