Thursday, July 24, 2008

Boudreaux's Butt Paste - Breakfast of Champions!

It was a usual Wednesday morning. I got up at 6:30 to get myself ready for my last day of work for the week (always harder than Monday!). Evan woke up on time and I brought him downstairs for his morning dose of Baby Einstein while I made his breakfast. All of a sudden I hear Scott say, "Oh, NO!" A little panic shot through me...

"What happened?" Nothing...again and with a little more volume and attitude I ask, "WHAT HAPPENED?"

Scott then informs me that Evan has potentially ingested butt paste! He was actually very calm but by the time I got to Evan and saw the diaper cream all over his bib and hands I was convinced he had swallowed half the tube! I was in full-blown panic mode. We read the back of the tube which stated we should call poison control if ingested. GREAT! My baby just ate something poisonous!

I jump online to find a number and quickly dial only to be put on hold for what seemed like an eternity (probably 2 minutes, but come on people, you're POISON CONTROL, answer the phone!). Once I finally got someone his first response was, "this happens all the time". Part of me was relieved but part of me wanted him to be just as upset as I was (at this point I was verging on tears). He told me to clean out his mouth and give him something to drink. And that was it! "What if he ate half the tube?" (I could have sworn the tube was almost full but now looked almost empty!) Again, he told me to clean him up and give him his breakfast.

So, that's what I did. I took him to Debbie's and told her the story, again on the verge of tears. She was nice enough to tell me this would be one of many freak outs I would have with regards to Evan and also shared one of her "moments" with her oldest, Mason. I felt a little better. I asked her to call me if Evan threw up or was overly fussy.

It turned out that he was fine. He never got sick or showed any signs of anything being wrong (except for his late afternoon crankiness due to cutting his two front teeth!).

I get asked often lately about having another baby (what is it about your baby turning one that makes people start asking about having another one??). Suffice it to say, based on this little story of over-reaction (and there are many more), I think I'm better off with just one!

1 comment:

Melissa Beth said...

Don't say that just yet!

You already know that you and Scott make BEAUTIFUL babies. You already know how to use an airplane potty holding an infant. Plus, now you know that Beaudreaux's Butt Paste is not toxic. Imagine how much more you will know by the time sister comes along.

Just kidding, Em!