Saturday, June 27, 2009

The Countdown Begins

We are T minus 11 days and counting; we're currently planning to pull out for the long drive on Wednesday, July 8th.

I can say things have finally started taking shape. It definitely looks and feels like we're moving. It's funny to me how I've forgotten these feelings from moves past. How, really, everything just feels the same; our daily routines are intact, the house looks lived in and things are still in their place. I have caught myself sitting and thinking, "wow, it sure doesn't seem like we're moving in TWO weeks!" What I'm trying to say is that I had forgotten how quickly a move really comes together. One day you're sitting on your couch watching TV and the next that same couch is shrink-wrapped and your TV is in a box. It's amazing to me how much I forget about moving during the three years we spend on station. You'd think this would be old hat by now, but it's not. Sure, we now have lists of lessons learned, things we need in the cars for the trip, etc. But the shear magnitude of moving coupled with the speed at which it happens - surprises me everytime. Maybe it's just that my emotions are slower to catch up.

In any case, we are in final prep mode; pictures and curtains are down, everything is washed and waiting to be packed, only what we need for the next month (towels, clothes, etc) is in use. Tomorrow we'll continue the process of getting ready; pools have to be deflated, toys separated, and the list goes on.

The packers are scheduled for the 1st and 2nd with the truck picking up all our worldly belongings on the 6th, traipsing them halfway across the country and hopefully not losing them along the way!

We will be moving in with the VanCleef's (our friend, Lee and his two kiddos) for the last 4 to 5 days before we head out; I think it would be too difficult to live in our house with all our possessions boxed and not be able to open them if I needed something!

I'll be sure to update along the way...the plan is to be in SATX on July 12th. Right now I'm still having a hard time believing so much will take place in such a short amount of time!

3 comments:

Melissa Beth said...

Aw, and this move has a whole new dimension - Mr. E! Can you believe how much he changes things... everything? I am so glad you are coming here, but I know you will miss Debbie and the gals, the walking trails, the nice cool evenings, and even the germ gym. But, we are glad to have you and thankful that Columbia took such good care of you while we "loaned" you to them for the past three years.

Melissa Beth said...

P.S. I love the new bear pic. Looks like Evan and the bear have made up?

Unknown said...

We will miss you guys more than you know :( But as Melissa said, we were glad we had you to borrow you all for the time you were here. I don't know who elses husband I can look to for rude comments (G-Ray?) and I don't know if I'll laugh as hard without you. I'll truly miss Mr. Ev~ his musical talents, floor hugging (even on the wet concrete), and big smiles :)Texas is lucky to have you, but maybe we can get you for a girl retreat one of these years! Ok, tears are coming I have to stop.