Wednesday, April 1, 2009

We Wuv Woobie!

About a year ago I noticed Evan had become quite smitten with his little blue dog lovie. What started as a cute baby gift sitting on his shelf has turned into an omnipresent, drool-soaked companion Evan cannot live without.

Early on I began calling him woobie because seeing Evan toddle around with a corner of it always stuffed in his mouth brought me back to "Mr. Mom" and the little boy with his blankie called "woobie". I never thought the name would stick but it has. Evan now says either "oobie" or "bee" to refer to his lovie.

It wasn't long before I realized we'd have to have more "bees", since Evan's incessant teething on the original had left it stained and, well, kinda gross. I scoured the Internet and came upon the identical little blankie...of course it has to be Gund, one of the most expensive stuffed animal brands! Sheesh!

Over the course of the last year we have accumulated 4 more woobies. We cannot leave home without him. Woobie goes with Evan to Debbie's when I'm at work, to the gym daycare, and everywhere in between. I describe woobie as having magical powers. Anyone who's seen it in action understands. When Evan cries, woobie usually saves the day. I hear myself saying "where's woobie" many times a day.

And you should see his face light up when we find woobie.

Ultimately, I love the little blankie as it has saved us from many a meltdown and I just think it's the sweetest thing to see him curled up with it when he sleeps! But woobie has created a little more work on wash day.

Evan usually gets a "fresh" woobie everyday. The collective woobies get washed several times a week but, I have found that one good scrub per week is absolutely necesssary. It's just embarassing to hand over a "clean" woobie to the gym ladies while explaining to them, "really, it's clean".

So imagine, five woobies, each with four "feet", two "paws", two ears and a tail, each part being individually scrubbed after soaking in Oxyclean. It's at least a 30-minute chore! Usually I can only do four at a time since one always has to be in circulation!

I think Evan's doctor described it best last week when he helpfully picked it up from the office floor during our visit; He said, " This blankie looks well-loved." Yes, woobie certainly is well-loved.

Woobies getting ready for their weekly bath! Can you guess which one is newest?

2 comments:

Kristin said...

The woobie you got me was totally cute, but I don't know if I can hang with your washing schedule. I don't know if I should thank you or curse you. :)

Melissa Beth said...

Awww. Yeah, didn't take a second look to realize which woobie was new to the fam. So cute.

On a side note - You didn't tell me he says "Oobie!" or "Bee!" That's so dang cute! Remember, I want a play-by-play of everything he does...